If you were at the Nielsens Penzo Art Pottery Show, you enjoyed the sweet taste of the cookies that
Kathy Vincent made to honor the Penzo country of origin- Zimbabwe. We at Nielsens had many requests for the recipe- so here it is! Happy eating...and they will look perfect on a Penzo serving plate! check out the styles at Nielsens -81st and Lewis in Tulsa or click here to see Penzo Pottery on our website, NielsensGifts.com. Enjoy! Andrea Nielsen
COOKIES FROM ZIMBABWE
Makes 60 cookies:
10 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 Cup honey
1 Cup finely grated raw sweet potato
2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Teaspoon baking power
1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon butter
1 - 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon water
1. Cream together butter and sugar in bowl. Blend in lemon zest, nutmeg, honey and egg. Fold in sweet potato.
2. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add it to the first mixture and blend well.
4. Arrange cookie dough by rounded teaspoons on ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Cool.
6. To make glaze, use a wooden spoon to combine all ingredient in glass container until smooth. Add more water by the drop until glaze is easy to spread on cooled cookies.